In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Monday, August 15, 2016

Beginning in Toronto -- The Great Lakes Cruise







My first thought was to write about coming home to Nashville after spending more than two weeks in Colorado with friends and in those mountains that will always be a spiritual home for me. However, my trip began in Toronto, the day before we boarded the Pearl Mist Cruise ship for a tour of the Great Lakes.

My several visits to Toronto had been on business. Gracious clients had taken me to the symphony and opera, pointed to museums for any spare time; however, I had not walked the streets, a preferred way to feel a city. After taking the train from the airport to the central terminal, winding my way through the subway station and taking that conveyance to Eaton Square (below), I skipped the bus and pulled my suitcase to the hotel.

Allan Gardens Conservatory, a mere 5-block walk from our hotel, was my first stop. I could fill this blog with photos of the lovely flowers I enjoyed there, but will only use a couple--one of the turtles and an orchid. The building is an historic landmark as well as housing exotic plants.



Directed to St. James Park, I was told to be careful as I walked down the street as it was "feeding time." I asked and was told that it was the time that the homeless were fed, and several places along my route would be doing that. I saw a couple and took another street to walk to the park. Before I saw the gardens, I came upon the Anglican St. James Cathedral. Gorgeous! A young woman priest was beginning evening prayer in a side altar, and I joined her and another guest for the prayers. Outside, a cafeteria-type serving line was dishing out food to those who had come, with picnic tables and benches set up for the meal.  The gardens were lovely, filled with nostalgic flowers such as hollyhocks, day lilies and old fashioned roses.

Fun to see that the gardens were used by young people as well oldsters.

I enjoyed an oyster poorboy, perfectly cooked oysters spilling over the wrap near where the top photo was taken after wandering through the St. Lawrence market filled with meats and cheeses that were hard to pass up. Back at the hotel, I spent time on the roof, enjoying the city views before greeting my companion for the cruise after his dinner with friends. 

After breakfast the next morning, all those going on the cruise were herded into the lobby with the intention of putting us on buses that would take us to the ship. Fortunately my friend agreed that we should forgo this experience and head for the Royal Ontario Museum where a Chihuly exhibit had been advertised on signs around the city. This museum, one I had previously visited, is wonderful, even had the glass I so love not been one of their special exhibits. I loved the room where folks sprawled across the floor below, and found a spot to join them. I luxuriated in the beauty of the glass!

After enjoying the museum's exhibits for the maximum time, we took a cab to the ship, noticing relief on the face of the man who had been concerned that a cab could find the dock and get us there on time! The cruise was about to begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment