In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Flood Leftovers and Hints of Spring



When in Tennessee recently, several asked if everything was back to normal after last fall's flood.  On a day when brilliant sunshine and mild winds almost made me believe spring was here, I drove toward our Chautauqua Park for an afternoon hike.  I chose my favorite training hike, knowing that there would be muddy patches.  As I started up the second tier, I was struck by the stark "river" of boulders and rocks that stretched out beside what had been a trail through the woods without a stream down the bank except for perhaps, spring runoff.  The photo above captures those rocks and stones that now line the trail.  Below are uprooted trees that haven't yet been cleared.

 
The trail climbs above this carnage--through more mud and ice than expected yesterday.  I don't have photos of the worst as I had carelessly left my hiking poles in the car.  As snow turned to ice hugged rocks that lined a portion of the trail, I stepped to one side and held onto bush limbs that I thought might hold if a foot slipped out from under me and looked for a spot where one foot could find purchase before I took the next step.  I did wonder what I was doing on that trail when others were likely less slippery.  Then the trail became dry as a bone for a time, then more mud and ice.  The slow uphill hike gave me time to notice buds forming on the bushes and a wonderful crop of moss on a boulder that I would have walked by had I been making my usual ascent to determine just how out of shape I was.  And yes, I'm not in shape for early hiking, but have not as much work to get in shape as some years. 


I knew the final approach to the main trail would be muddy and slogged on through it as I looked up the "stairs" ahead.  If you look closely at the trail picture below, you'll see tufts of green grass. 

 
The best part of this trail's end is that it opens into an area of thick woods where one would not know that Boulder was nearby.  I took a short-cut through the woods with no one around, letting go of those concerns and problems that made me want to delay my return to Colorado--or perhaps not come back at all. 
Today is gray with a prediction of a rain-snow mix--only enough to be annoying.  On my neighborhood walk earlier in the week, I took hints of spring photos and hope our usual spring snows will not damage those early budding trees.
 

 
Though I didn't write about my experiences in Nashville, I wouldn't want to leave this post without a couple of photos of "my boys."  The baby is Rowan, the newest baby in our extended family.  Tom's step-daughter, Laura, is the mom.  The other two are my grandsons, Will (Mike's youngest) and Sam, who turned ten while on the trip.

 
And would you image that well-brought up Nashville boys could tie their borrowed from their Dad ties as we all dressed our best for the memorial service?! 

 
Mike fixing Ben's tie
 
From Terry Tempest Williams, yesterday's word for the day:
"The world is holy.  We are holy.  All life is holy.  Daily prayers are delivered on the lips of breaking waves, the whisperings of grasses, the shimmering of leaves."

No comments:

Post a Comment