In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Meditation on a Scene

The various colors of the tree trunks in this photo brought to mind how we show or cover ourselves as we meet others on our paths. The center gray trunk represents those times--all for some, part of the time for most of us--when we need to cloak ourselves in anonymity to avoid being noticed or truly seen. The tree on the right has color showing through the gray. What about this as a way to walk through the world--enough protection, but letting part of our true selves show through. That sounds good. Which part shines through? The pretty part? True side? The loving part? Do we choose or does whatever part of us is strongest that day determine what is seen? A friend recently told me that what she saw in her first exposure to me (across a room) was first deep sadness, and second, strong anger. Both were off-putting and made me unapproachable. I have no doubt that what she saw was true, and she made these comments in a loving way--how much I had changed. However, I am sure that other times during that same period, I was kind and loving, though the sadness may have been leeching through. Fortunately for me, there were those friends, new and old, who loved and nourished me anyway. But what she saw that day was what was strongest rather than what I would have chosen to show. On the left, there is the tree trunk split open, it's color blazing in the sun. Is that tree still alive? Maybe not, but for the sake of this meditation, let's say that it is. It represents us when we are able to show our true selves to the world, our Divine selves. Divine compassion allows us to grieve with those who grieve and weep with those who weep. That may look gray at first glance, but looking closer, Christ's light can be seen shining through the tears. Jesus exhorts us to let our lights shine so that the world can see God in us. My prayer is that I can clear the way, put aside my doubts and fears, and let Divine love show through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment