In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Little Gems on Daily Paths






I don't have to hike mountain paths to find little gems. The dew drops caught in a web were in my daughter's yard. The butterfly was resting on wildflowers on the Walden Ponds trail near my home. And the red leaves and berries were beside a trail where I often walk in Boulder.
I wasn't hurrying or I would have missed each of these compositions. I was on ordinary walks in ordinary (well maybe Walden Ponds are not so ordinary) places, stretching my legs, breathing the air, glad to be alive.
How many times do I hurry past the beauty of small things? Even on the steepest part of our hike to Shelf and Solitude Lakes, we needed to be so present to each of our steps that we missed more little gems than we noticed. Always there is beauty around us. There may not be roses, but stopping to see, there is beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment