In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Awe and Wonder

The ones of me was taken by my hiking partner, Judith Chandler, on her camera.
Awe and wonder -- and there's no way -- even had my camera's batteries not died as we reached the huge meadow we had aimed for above Black Lake in RMNP -- that photographs convey the vastness and the stark glory of that landscape. The golden grasses this time of year enhance the rocky surfaces. The mountains above (which are beyond our climbing abilities) stand in stark shadow over the streams, lakes, red bushes, and golden grasses.

Some might see this as too barren, too stark. Why it speaks to my soul is not something I can explain. There are four named lakes in this meadowland. On this hike, we did not visit them. Instead we simply reveled in the splendor of the area. I sat and absorbed while my friend took photographs. We marveled. It was exhilarating. God's creation is marvelous!

Then we had to hike out--down steps, passing by Black Lake, across meadows and down more steps, past Jewel and Mills Lakes, on legs that were feeling pushed. The walk out seemed longer than the six or so miles we had hiked in. That's often the case. For the splendor and awe, I was blessed by my body's ability to make the trek, blessed by the company of my dear hiking companion, and blessed by the experience of my inner child's wonder.

Some experiences in nature are beyond words. We are blessed! I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment