In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Daniel Schorr

I had planned to write about yesterday's hike up the 4th of July trailhead to Arapahoe Pass, of the spectacular wildflowers and stunning views--of what is temporary and what is lasting. However, on the way home, I turned on NPR and heard Scott Simon say that they were reporting a loss in the family, the death yesterday morning of Daniel Schorr at age 93.

It hardly seems like Saturday morning without Schorr's commentary on the week's news. I have arranged my Saturday waking time to allow listening to Dan's thoughts for many years. I can listen either at 7 am or to the repeated version at 9 am so--when 9 am doesn't work with my schedule, I have awakened earlier to hear the 7 am broadcast.

Dan's calm understanding of the way Washington works (and doesn't), his historical viewpoints, his getting to the heart of the matter, and his humor have informed and inspired many of us for years. Thanks Dan, for the long career, and for standing up for your principles even when the consequences weren't what you wanted. Thanks to NPR for understanding Dan's values and value to their listeners for the past quarter century. His voice and his words will be missed.

And when I've uploaded photos, I'll write about yesterday's hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment