In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Reopening--Really?


This magnolia blossom isn't reopening, but the tree is reopening its blossoms. It's the current flora openings around here as the many magnolia trees begin to share their perfume and lovely flowers, all in their own time.

My favorite public garden, Cheekwood, opened their gardens last Friday and I took a friend to enjoy the newly designed trails and gardens yesterday. We wore masks in the car and in the few spots where more people were around. We sat on my poncho on the grass and ate the lunch we brought with us. On the sculpture trails several groups of friends passed as we stepped off into the grass but mostly we were able to amble along trying out the new signage on our phones and speculating about the wild flower plantings that were obviously put in during the past couple of months. The mansion will open its door to timed visits of smaller numbers of people when the Chihuly exhibit opens in mid-July. We have no idea of when guided garden or mansion tours will resume. That's one of my favorite volunteer activities that is on long-term hold.


Worshiping in our beautiful sanctuary is in the far distant future. There may be multiple small scattered neighborhood outdoor services this summer while the U-Tube services continue for those unable or unwilling to participate in the outdoor settings. We have no official guidance from our Bishop at this time other than that no services can be held on our "campus" until after mid-June. As one of the seniors, though without pre-existing conditions, we may be encouraged or even mandated to avoid indoor services when they do begin.


Gatherings can now accommodate up to twenty-five people and may soon be extended to fifty with social distancing protocols observed. That will not allow for most of the concerts or lectures that make my experience of living near central Nashville special. One nearby university will allow students back in the fall and may have some social distance performances since music students are an important segment of their students and need performance experience. My symphony tickets are in the mail I'm told but will we able to use them?


I continue to discourage or outright refuse entrance to an elevator I'm riding down from the 17th floor to anyone not wearing a mask. If that person insists, I get out and walk down the stairs, dark and dirty though they are.

And I'm debating whether or not their is a safe way to make my usual summer trek to Colorado. My decision to drive may not be the most important but that of where I'll stay while there. I can stay four or five nights in a row with my daughter but would need an equal or greater time away before returning for my last two or three nights. Where that might be is the question. I do not yet have an answer.
                                   Yes! An old photo taken on the hillside with glacier lilies in bloom

So----opening up----it doesn't look that open for the life I had. On the other hand, social distancing outside means events like the hikers' weekly coffee (lunch today) at a nearby park with us splitting into two groups if more than ten attend (park groups still limited to ten or fewer). It also means hiking/walking at a park that's more fields that woods with a friend and his friends in the morning. Those fields, while not my preferred hills, allow lots of room for social distancing. And on Thursday I will Zoom in to the noon prayer service at St. John's in Boulder!

I am grateful for my health and that of family and friends but I so miss hugs! I'm lucky to be able to be outside often and to have friends I can see at a distance. And I've sent both manuscripts to readers so this writing time has been a blessing.

Many, many blessings but how I still long for more activity, hugs, and in-person meetings and worship.

PS: My link to photos stopped working so I'll add more photos later.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! I just really loved your all Blogs... Thanks for sharing such a interesting post with us and keep blogging. Visit Our Website:
    patio hardscape

    ReplyDelete