In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Monday, January 11, 2016

Remembering the Sparkle that was Lynn!

This sparkly lit glass tower from the Chihuly exhibit we saw at the Denver Botanic Gardens a year ago last fall reminds me of my friend, Lynn, whom we lost two weeks ago tonight. Lynn sparkled in ways that weren't always noticeable, standing beside and supporting her husband in his role as arts benefactor. However, as I looked through her closet on Thursday, heeding her husband's "see what you can use," I was reminded of how much she enjoyed sparkly clothes. Her height and carriage--she and her sister practiced walking with books on their heads to embrace their heights--kept those sparkling jackets from overshadowing her lovely face and winning smile.

One of Lynn's favorite activities was modeling for a local store. Her Pendleton wardrobe was worthy of a store section. She savored bargains found at a choice second-hand store in Estes Park, especially those sparkling jackets she wore with such grace. When driving from Boulder to join Lynn and Peter at a musical event, I asked how dressy she was going to be. Her answer was "nothing special." I often arrived to find her decked out in a purple or black outfit one could wear to an opera gala in the city. I eventually quit asking. Never did I try to match her lovely outfits and certainly not her grace or carriage, though I, too, modeled years ago.

I returned with two items I saw Lynn wear more than once--a hand-made vest, yes with a few sparkles, and a long red paisley skirt that I won't try to wear with her grace. I wore the vest to dinner with friends in Boulder and felt as if I was wrapped in Lynn's warmth.


As I look for photos, Peter is in more of them, perhaps because he hiked with me. I enhanced the one above. However, the one I pulled up was the original. Maybe I can fix it later!

I love that my compassionate therapist friend, one who could go to the darkest places with me, also loved sparkle and modeling. She said the Lynn who modeled and invited folks into the store was a different personality than her usual reserved self. I was privileged to count her as a friend.

PS:  The two photos of Lynn and Peter were taken on our wonderful trip to Israel last April, one as we were about to cross into Jordan to see the Petra ruins, the other at Peter's birthday dinner in Tel Aviv--joyous times!







No comments:

Post a Comment