In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Morning Musings

                                                                 Center Hill Lake

On a visit to the Appalachian Crafts Center, a drive of a little over an hour from Nashville, we passed the Center Hill Lake, and could look through the mostly leafless trees behind the center and see a small portion of this 64-mile long lake or hike to its banks. Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1948 for power production and flood control, the craft center and three state parks are near its banks.

I had forgotten how quickly one reaches the Cumberland Mountains driving east on Interstate 40, such a beautiful area even with the bare trees. Balancing time in the nearby hills and mountains with my city life is a challenge. There are, however, lovely streets, most with sidewalks, on which to take exercise walks without getting in my car. The lovely tree below brightened yesterday morning's walk through a nearby residential areas.



For me that balancing challenge can be likened to time with my inner life as well as the outer one. It's easy to fill days and evenings with doing, hard to refrain from volunteering just to be interacting with others. Today, with Pilates at noon and an African drum and dance group's program at nearby Blair School of Music (at Vanderbilt) enticing me this evening, I will have no more than passing words with a Pilates classmate or a fellow audience member this evening. I would likely feel less alone staying in my apartment, but not only is Pilates good for my body, I am refreshed by the energy at the downtown Y and heartened by smiles of welcome from the staff. This evening's
Sankofa group will no doubt bring a different energy to enjoy. (Two friends--one new and one old--I asked to attend declined.)

After an interesting coffee/tea conversation with the Cathedral Dean yesterday, during which I learned that there are ministries that need new leadership or ideas of new ones that need fleshing out, I came home wondering if I might become involved in something different than centering or healing prayer. But healing is my call, my head reported. A bit later, that voice that insists on being heard said "there are many ways to work for healing."

"Wait," I said to the Dean. "Not today. I'm recovering from being needed and want to let that settle for a bit longer." We will meet again after the first of the year and sort through possible ministry work there.

I am finding acceptance that Nashville will be my home for the remainder of my years. I haven't yet found a need to assume that this apartment will also see the end of my days.

These musings call for stillness, being with what is, as I end this post.

                                                         On the Vanderbilt Campus

No comments:

Post a Comment