In the Rockies

In the Rockies
Butler Gulch

Monday, May 28, 2012

A Family Hike




We went to Rocky Mountain National Park, but we didn't plan to hike far.  Son Mike, visiting from Nashville, chose to see a falls rather than a lake for a short hike.  The hike to Alberta Falls was on a clear and soft trail.  It was easy.  We climbed the rocks to sit above the falls (falls pictures were taken there).  He wanted to go on, quite all right with daughter Michelle and me.  We told him we could stop any time.  After a few more "how are you doing" queries, Mike turned and said, "I'm not an invalid."

The Park Ranger had said that there were snow patches on the way to Mills Lake, but that is was doable.  A woman who heard me talking to him warned that her husband had post holed to his thighs.
We chose the Ranger's approach and dug our heels into the soft snowbanks to make our way. 



It was a beautiful day and a lovely hike.  Though windy, lunch at lakeside was pleasant.  For me, it was a special treat to hike to one of my favorite spots with both of my adult children.  I was blessed.



PS:  Michelle had insisted on driving, and as we waited and then bumped over the two construction sites on the park road, I was pleased not to be behind the wheel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment